There are exciting new things popping up every day at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! Join us every week to read about what’s new “Around the Mouse.” This week’s Walt Disney World news update features: new Frozen MagicBands, other new merchandise, special events and much more! Check out what is new Around The Mouse!
What’s New This Week?
Walt Disney World Theme Parks
New! Limited Edition Olaf from Frozen Magic Band Available: A new, limited edition retail MagicBand, featuring Olaf from Disney’s “Frozen” is now available at Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This limited edition MagicBand will have an edition size of 5,000, and will have a retail of $29.95 (plus tax). This new MagicBand will join three open edition MagicBands inspired by Disney’s “Frozen,” which are currently offered in Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post.
Reminder: New F.O.N.E.s to Stop Doofenshmirtz: On June 27, Agent P World Showcase Adventure replaced its classic flip phones with sleek new secret communicators. Traveling around the world and saving the day from the evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz takes the best technology out there and now guests have it! The new screen is three times bigger than the previous version, and the colors are more vivid. Cast Members also give Guests their communicators in a protective pouch, which one can attach to a lanyard, making it harder for the evil doer to reach the top-secret, crime-fighting information.
Reminder! Haunted Mansion-Themed Merchandise Shop Opening This Fall in Magic Kingdom Park: The new merchandise shop will be located in the current Yankee Trader shop, which will have its last day of operation on July 27, 2014. Inspired by Madame Leota, the new location will carry select items from the upcoming Haunted Mansion Authentic program including apparel, home goods, souvenirs, and more.
Reminder! New Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Late Nights – LIVE!: Epcot Food & Wine Festival – Late Nights LIVE! street party will run from 9:45 p.m. to 1 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday during the festival between the United Kingdom Pavilion and World Showcase Plaza. The event includes six tastes (food and beverages) from select marketplaces, live music, entertainment, and a DJ. Cost is $79, plus tax. Admission to Epcot is not required after 9 p.m. for guests who have purchased credentials to the event.
Reminder! Epcot Food & Wine Festival Premium Package: From noon-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday during a select festival period (September 22-November 6), the Epcot Food & Wine Festival Premium Package is an opportunity for guests staying in a Walt Disney World Resort hotel (or the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels) to sip and savor in style. The package includes an in-room gift with wine for guests 21 and older, a festival wine glass, truffles and credential for the Premium Package Areas at the festival – plus an Epcot International Food & Wine Festival MagicBand and a $50 Disney Gift Card to start the fun. The credential gives access to 10 VIP “Premium Package Areas” around World Showcase Promenade where you can order items from Marketplaces and have them delivered to you – no waiting in line. You can also bring your favorite marketplace treats into the Premium Package Areas and just relax. The package also includes one admission to Epcot Food & Wine Festival – Late Nights LIVE!, which you can attend on Tuesday or Thursday night. Cost is $199 per guest, plus tax, plus Epcot admission.
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
New! Sassagoula Rivercruise Reopening Soon: The Downtown Disney Marketplace Watercraft dock is scheduled to reopen Aug. 15. It has been closed since February, as part of the overall enhancements at the property. When the dock reopens, the following service changes to the Sassagoula Rivercruise will take effect:
- The Downtown Disney Water Taxi, currently servicing the West Side and Pleasure Island, will once again include the Marketplace
- Service to Disney’s Port Orleans Resort, which is currently located at the Pleasure Island dock, will return to the Marketplace dock.
- Service to Disney’s Old Key West Resort and Disney’s Port Orleans Resort will remain at the West Side dock.
Walt Disney World Resort – General
New! Beautifully Disney “Tangled Web” Collection: This delightfully dark seventh collection from Beautifully Disney arrives at Disney Parks on August 9. Paying homage to those vivacious villains who have a flair for the dark side, you’ll be sure to find Tangled Web simply sinister.
Reminder! Inaugural ESPN Fantasy Football Conventions Coming to Walt Disney World: On August 22-23, you can officially kick-off sport’s greatest season of the year with ESPN‘s inaugural Fantasy Football Convention, taking place at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The first-of-its-kind event features unprecedented access to ESPN talent including Matthew Berry, Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen, Sara Walsh, Mark Schlereth, Stephania Bell, Tim Hasselbeck and more! The event includes an epic Tailgate Party, where you can mix and mingle with ESPN talent and be a judge in the first-ever ESPN Chili Bowl by taste testing creations from decorated Disney Chefs from around the world, and breakfast with some of your favorite characters decked out for the gridiron. The Convention includes a live broadcast of Fantasy Football Now. The event finale features the opportunity to take part in a live fantasy football draft with the help of ESPN Fantasy Experts roaming the floor. And best yet, season winners of leagues created during the Convention will receive a customized trophy. Talk about bragging rights! Price is $349 per person.
Reminder! WonderGround Gallery Joins Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney: A small assortment of WonderGround Gallery items was recently added to the Marketplace Co-Op in Downtown Disney Marketplace. WonderGround Gallery opened in June 2012 at Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort in California. It is a distinctive and eclectic contemporary art collection which showcases unique art by some incredibly talented artists. Now a small sample of their work is available at Walt Disney World too.
- August 7: Meet Disney’s “Planes: Fire & Rescue” director/co-writer Bobs Gannaway from 3 – 4 p.m. at Once Upon A Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace, as he signs some of the new “Planes: Fire & Rescue” merchandise available at Disney Parks.
- August 7 – 11: Find the latest releases from Precious Moments doll designer and artist Linda Rick at Once Upon A Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace.
- August 14 – 17: Keep an eye out! Renowned artist David E. Doss will be appearing daily at Art of Disney in Downtown Disney Marketplace. Stop in and find a new piece of art to add to your collection!
- August 14 – 17: It’s time for you to check out the latest releases from international artist Larry Dotson, who will be appearing throughout the day at Main Street Cinema in Magic Kingdom Park.
- August 23: Keep an eye out for spellbinding commemorative T-shirts and more as part of the “Villains Unleashed” event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Remember, a separate ticket is required to attend this event. If you are thinking of going, purchase tickets now at www.DisneyVillainsParty.com or by calling 407.939.1933.
- August 29: Be sure to pick up a copy of Tinker Bell: An Evolution, a full biography about everyone’s favorite fiery fairy by author Mindy Johnson. Mindy will appear at Art of Disney in Downtown Disney Marketplace from 3 – 4 p.m., alongside special guest and Disney Legend, Alice Davis. Tip: Also being released during the event is Marc Davis: Walt Disney’s Renaissance Man.
Closures and Refurbishments
Click here to view the latest renovations and closures at Walt Disney World Resort.