There are exciting new things popping up every day at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! Join us every week to read about what’s new “Around the Mouse.” This week’s Walt Disney World news update features: updates on Night of Joy, new merchandise and merchandise events, allergy dining information and much more!
What’s New This Week?
Walt Disney World Theme Parks
New! Night of Joy Returns to Magic Kingdom – Sold Out: Ride, rock and rejoice as Night of Joy returns to Magic Kingdom Park on Friday, Sept. 5 and Saturday, Sept. 6 from 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. The Christian contemporary music celebration combines high-energy sound with spiritual worship for two enjoyable nights. Disney’s Night of Joy 2014 is officially “Sold Out” for both nights! But if you didn’t get a ticket, you can still be a part of the action. Blue Scout Media will be webcasting the event live from Magic Kingdom Park both nights. The link is http://stagehop.com/nightofjoy. Check out artist performances including acts like Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin, MercyMe, Casting Crowns, Skillet and Matthew West who are performing under the glow of Cinderella Castle.
Reminder! Mayhem at the Mansion App Added to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party: A new augmented reality app called Mayhem at the Mansion has been released for free via the iTunes store for use during the event. The app can be used to “capture” the three Hitchhiking Ghosts in the Magic Kingdom during the party by finding them with the help of an event map, and then “capturing” them using an iPhone’s camera. Then, guests are to “return” them to the Haunted Mansion. You can learn more at http://disneymansionmayhem.com as well as watch a demo video. Our agency owners are actually the talent you see in the video!
Reminder! Some Performances of Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Cancelled: Due to concrete work on Main Street, U.S.A., there will not be morning performances of the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party on the following dates: Sept 10, 11, 15, . The parade will only perform at 5:40 and 7 p.m. on these dates. On Wednesday, Sept. 3, and Wednesday, Sept. 17, the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party will be presented at 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
New! Details Announced for Haunted Mansion-Themed Merchandise Shop: A few weeks ago, it was announced that a new Haunted Mansion-themed merchandise shop is coming to Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort this fall. This shop will carry an incredible assortment of Haunted Mansion authentic merchandise created especially for Disney Parks. Madame Leota will be the star of the shop’s story. Disney Parks Blog hints at visuals and sounds of Leota appearing in the store. Products will include clothing, accessories, home decor and much more. There will be more than 100 items in the store, and select items will be carried on the Disney Parks online store later this fall. Just visit http://www.DisneyStore.com/HauntedMansion.
New! Two New Limited-Edition MagicBands for Sale: The first is a Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party graphic band. Presented in a decorative box, the limited-edition graphic MagicBand will include the event logo. It will have an edition size of 5,000 and will retail for $29.95 (plus tax). Guests must present one of the following for the MagicBand to be linked to at the time of purchase: valid theme park admission, Memory Maker card or an active MagicBand. The second is a limited release, graphic MagicBand that contains the infamous wallpaper from the Haunted Mansion attraction (retail is $24.95 plus tax). This item will also have to be linked at the time of purchase just like the aforementioned limited-edition graphic MagicBand.
New! Starbucks Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios in February 2015: At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the former L.A. Prop merchandise location will reopen in early 2015 as The Trolley Car Café, a new food and beverage location serving Starbucks coffee and Disney favorites. In addition to Disney favorites, The Trolley Car Café will serve Starbucks coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino blended beverages and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Disney Chefs will also create delicious house-made sweet treats at this Disney’s Hollywood Studios bakery.
New! Aviary Temporary Closure at Pangani Forest Exploration Trail: The aviary on Pangani Forest Exploration Trail at Disney’s Animal Kingdom closed for refurbishment on Sept. 2. It is scheduled to reopen in time for Thanksgiving. During this time, the entrance to the trail will be closed to all Guests except for those traveling in wheelchairs to and from the Kilimanjaro Safaris loading area. Trail Guests will be able to enter Pangani Forest Exploration Trail through the exit in order to visit the habitats of the colobus monkeys, gorillas, meerkats and zebras. The aviary, Research Center and underwater hippo viewing will be closed for the refurbishment work. The Wilderness Explorer Birding Badge will be relocated to the entrance of Pangani Forest Exploration Trail, just behind the Ham Radio Badge.
New! Construction Begins on “Rivers of Light” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom: As the park undergoes the largest expansion in the history of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, construction continues on a number of enhancements and additions to park offerings, including a new nighttime spectacular called “Rivers of Light.” As part of this expansion, construction walls will be installed in Asia and additional walls will be installed around Discovery River throughout Asia and into DinoLand U.S.A.. As a result, the smoking location across from Expedition Everest will be removed as the wall is installed. The smoking location at Rafiki’s Planet Watch also will be removed. Remaining Guest smoking locations can be found near Pizzafari in Discovery Island, behind Dino Sue in DinoLand U.S.A., and next to Rainforest Cafe outside the main entrance. The construction wall in Asia also will impact the Wilderness Explorers Telescope Badge activity. Instead of taking
part in the assigned activity (using a telescope to determine the height of the Forbidden Mountain Peak), Wilderness Explorers can identify the correct answer on a Himalayan Vista image that will appear on the construction wall and earn their badge.
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
New! Menu Changes at Old Port Royale at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort: New menu items have arrived at Old Port Royale Food Court at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. Guests can enjoy these delicious items during both lunch and dinner. New menu items include:
- Smokey Italian – salami, ham, smoked gouda cheese, tomatoes and arugula on basil asiago bread, served with fresh jerk potato chips or wedge salad.
- Roast Beef Pita – sliced roast beef, caramelized onions, chimichurri sauce, tomatoes and arugula, served on pita bread with fresh jerk potato chips or wedge salad.
- Sriracha Barbecued Pork – juicy pulled pork, spicy barbecue sauce, cool Caribbean coleslaw on a toasted bun, served with fresh jerk chips or wedge salad.
- Cuban Burger – Beef patty, grilled ham, sriracha pulled pork, swiss cheese, mango mayonnaise, on a toasted bun with fried pickles.
Reminder! New Wine Pairings at Martha’s Vineyard at Disney’s Beach Club Resort: New late-afternoon wine pairings combine food and wine with a little enlightenment, with wine experts on hand to talk about what you’re sipping at Martha’s Vineyard at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. Upcoming dates are 4-5:15 p.m. September 4, September 25, October 2 and October 30. Wineries aren’t yet announced (the last one was France’s Louis Jadot), but the Disney chefs are having fun with pairing delicious food with whatever is poured. It’s an intimate setting – no more than 18 guests, and the conversation flows with the wine. Cost varies, but is in the $20-30 range for three wines paired with three small plates, and price depends on what’s being poured. For reservations, call 407-934-3833.
Reminder! Disney Food Truck Serving Breakfast at Disney’s All Star Music Resort: Breakfast options are available at the Disney Food Truck every day from 7-11:30 a.m. The food truck is parked near the Singing Spirits Pool Bar at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort. Menu includes: Egg, bacon and cheese breakfast croissant; Kielbasa and caramelized onion biscuit sliders with sausage gravy; Strawberry-covered waffles with fresh whipped cream; donut holes and more.
Walt Disney World Resort – General
New! Valet Pricing Changes at Downtown Disney: Beginning Sept. 1, valet pricing at the Downtown Disney Area will be adjusted based on length of stay. The time window will begin when Guests arrive at the valet podium and will end when they return to the podium. Payment will be collected upon return to the valet podium.
- 0-2 hours: $10
- 2-3 hours: $15
- 3+ hours: $20
New! Allergy Menus Testing at Select Dining Locations: In order to accommodate the more than 650,000 special dietary requests received each year, new allergy-friendly menus for common food allergies and intolerances will be introduced. During the pilot period, select restaurants at Walt Disney World Resort (starting Sept. 2) and Disneyland Resort (starting Sept. 9) will test several different menu strategies during a six-week period. Guest and Cast feedback will be captured for each menu type. Results will be used to make recommendations for allergy-friendly menus at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. The locations participating in this test are: Flying Fish Cafe, ABC Commissary, Sci-Fi Dine-In, The Hollywood Brown Derby, Kona Cafe, Capt. Cooks, and World Premier Food Court.
Reminder! Monorail Operating Hours Adjustments beginning Sept. 1: With several special evening events planned at Magic Kingdom and Epcot this fall, we are adjusting monorail service hours to accommodate our Guests. Beginning Sept. 1 through Sept. 26, monorail service will run from:
- 8:30 a.m. – 11 p.m. (midnight on special event nights) on the Magic Kingdom Resort beam.
- 9:30 a.m. – 1 hour after Magic Kingdom fireworks on the Magic Kingdom Express beam.
- 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. on the Epcot beam.
On Sept. 5 and 6, the Magic Kingdom Resort and Express beams will close at 2.a.m during Night of Joy. Watercraft and additional buses will be available to transport Guests to their destinations.
- September 7: A limited number of tickets to the Vinylmation Showcase for the Disney Trade Celebration 2014 – Imagination Gala taking place at World ShowPlace in Epcot, are still available. Get yours today! Learn more.
- September 17 – 21: Artist Greg McCullough will be appearing this month at Art of Disney in Downtown Disney Marketplace.
- September 8 – 11: Meet international artist Larry Dotson, who will appear be appearing this month at Walt Disney World Resort. Find him September 8 – 11 at Art of Disney in the Downtown Disney Marketplace and September 18 – 28 at Art of Disney in Epcot.
- September 12 – 13: Join Master Sculptor Hiko Maeda as he introduces an all-new Disney Showcase Collection figurine and ornament, only available at Disney Parks. This new piece titled, “Let Your Light Shine” is available as a figurine for $50, plus tax, and as an ornament for $28, plus tax. Look for special appearances by Hiko Maeda, September 12 from 4 – 6 p.m. at Main Street Cinema in Magic Kingdom Park and September 13 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 – 5 p.m. at Art of Disney in Downtown Disney Marketplace.
- September 18 – 22: Look for the latest releases from Precious Moments doll designer and artist, Linda Rick, including her newest collection inspired by “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” Linda will appear throughout the day (each day), September 18 – 21, at Once Upon A Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace.
- September 27: The next hand-painted Ink & Paint Cel, titled “Summertime Pals,” is set to debut at Animation Gallery in Disney’s Hollywood Studios on September 27, 2014. Meet the artists from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.– 5 p.m. on the day of release.
Closures and Refurbishments
Click here to view the latest renovations and closures at Walt Disney World Resort.
If you’re ready to book your Disney vacation, be sure to contact Becca with Destinations in Florida! She is our preferred Travel Agent. Becca can be reached by email at Becca@destinationsinflorida.com or by phone at 757-532-1438.